In the modern refinery investments, CAPEX in process optimization and the acquisition of costly process analytical and process optimization systems is nowadays not anymore based on and “nice to have it” but on “Do we really need it”.
A deep going survey and feasibility study is in many cases required to understand the CAPEX and efficiency of improved process analytical and process optimization projects. In addition to that also the OPEX plays today an important role in many petroleum and petrochemical industrial plants to reduce the cost of manpower and other operational costs.
As a supplier of on-line process analysers and overall turn-key projects, Modcon Systems its responsibility goes far beyond the selling of analysers only. Especially in those cases where require high investment in the purchase and maintenance of instrumentation are involved, Modcon Systems, offers its customer feasibility studies that allows the customer to decide whether or not investing in an process analyser and process optimization system is beneficial from the CAPEX and an OPEX point of view alike, and profitable balance between them.
Modcon Systems’ feasibility studies cover a broad variety of different subjects in refinery and petrochemical industries. The scope of the study is determined in cooperation with the customers and in accordance to the targets of the requested recommendations for process optimisation resulting from the study.
Feasibilty studies include:
- A technological review of the current situation in the process unit.
- Defining the variables that influence the increase of the production process and the product quality.
- Determination of the properties that mostly influence the process efficiency.
- Determination of parameters that should be controlled on-line, and where laboratory analyses are too time consuming for process optimisation.
- Process optimisation by utilization of on-line process analytical results, transferred to the DCS.
- Defining the basis of design, and overall project summery from a technological point of view.
- Budget estimation – Direct and indirect investments to be made for implementation the product design.
- Procurement, contracting, project management, hazard analysis and execution summary.
- CAPEX and OPEX calculation.
- Capital investment return calculation.
Effective feasibility studies and implementation of its recommendations improve the profitability of the overall plant, by increased process control and process optimisation, especially when integrated with APC, resulting in:
- Increased the production capacity of most demanded products
- Increased the product quality
- Reduced of giveaways
- Increased energy efficiency
- Increased labor efficiency
- Reduced maintenance
- Optimised CAPEX, OPEX and return of investment of the optimisation project